Cannabis industry’s first accelerator program invests in fresh group of entrepreneurs accepted into rigorous business-growth boot camp
BOULDER, Colo., Feb. 24, 2016 /Weed Wire/ — Cannabis companies developing everything from a Consumer Reports-style publication for cannabis to innovative vaporizers, grinders and tools for home growers move to Boulder next week to begin a 16-week CanopyBoulder entrepreneur boot camp.
The new class of 10 companies, with roots ranging from North Carolina to California, marks the third class of cannabis entrepreneurs to gain acceptance into CanopyBoulder, a year-old program that already has helped raise more than $10 million for 19 companies.
“As the commercial side of cannabis matures, so do the applications we receive from around the country,” said CanopyBoulder co-founder and CEO Patrick Rea. “The business ideas being pursued by this spring class are phenomenal. We can’t wait to help them build the leading cannabis companies of the future.”
Hundreds of companies apply to CanopyBoulder’s immersion boot camps, but the accelerator program selects only 10 for each four-month session. The entrepreneurs that make the cut receive $20,000 investments from CanopyBoulder, space in CanopyBoulder’s Boulder office and intense guidance from veteran business leaders. CanopyBoulder anticipates opening a San Francisco office and accelerator in the fall.
The fresh slate of emerging businesses is poised to capitalize on the fastest growing industry in the nation. The ArcView Group investor network, a partner in CanopyBoulder, has helped to raise more than $65 million for cannabis companies and estimates the cannabis market will reach $22 billion in 2020.
CanopyBoulder’s Spring Class
- weeGrow, CEO Mason Levy. A community designed to foster interaction and empower home cultivators.
- Stashbox, CEO Natasha Irizarry. A personalized monthly subscription box for connoisseurs of the cannabis lifestyle.
- PenSimple, CEO Brian Seckel. A revolutionary portable cannabis accessory that can store, grind and dispense cannabis with the press of a button.
- Quantified Vapor, CEO Mike Klodnicki. The “FitBit of vaping,” Quantified Vapor tracks how much you consume and helps you gauge your high.
- Front Range BioSciences, CEO Christopher Zalewski. Next generation agricultural science for the cannabis industry.
- Würk, CEO Keegan Peterson. An entire human resources system integrated into one platform for the cannabis industry.
- iDro, CEO Fredrik Lindseth. Grow like a pro at home with a fully automated, smartphone-controlled, hydroponic system.
- Trellis Research Group, CEO Jill Lamoureux. The cannabis industry’s independent, unbiased, and objective testing laboratory for cannabis accessories, products and cultivation methods.
- VaporSlide, CEO Brendan Gillis. The world’s first vaporizing water pipe slide.
- SPARE, CEO D’Ontra Hughes. An ATM solution without the expense, liability and bulky space of ATMs.
To learn more about CanopyBoulder’s spring class, visit the CanopyBoulder portfolio page: http://www.canopyboulder.com/blog/2016/02/24/canopyboulder-announces-spring-2016-cohort
CanopyBoulder is a seed-stage, mentorship-driven, business accelerator created in partnership with The ArcView Group for companies developing ancillary products and services for the legal cannabis industry. Companies are handpicked by the selection committee to receive a $20,000 capital infusion and participate in an intensive 16-week accelerator program. CanopyBoulder advisors and mentors work closely with each company, helping define business models, refine unique selling propositions, and focus marketing and fundraising activities. For more information, please visit www.canopyboulder.com.
About The ArcView Group
Founded in 2010, The ArcView Group is responsible for a number of groundbreaking ventures in the cannabis industry. The ArcView Investor Network includes more than 500 dues-paying accredited investors who have put more than $65 million behind 105 companies. ArcView Market Research produces the State of Legal Marijuana Markets report, which is the most oft-cited national market data report. In 2015 ArcView became a partner in Canopy, the first seed-stage mentor-driven business accelerator. ArcView is also co-founder of Cannasure Insurance Services, the leading provider of business insurance to the cannabis industry